Steve Reacts to Queen's Speech(May 08, 2013)
The Prime Minister promised change but things have got worse not better:
Worse on jobs
- With one million young people unemployed and more people out of work than when David Cameron became Prime Minister.
Worse on growth and living standards
- With the economy flatlining for two and a half years, and families paying the price with real wages down £1,700 since the election.
Worse with the banks
- With lending to businesses still falling.
Worse with housing
- with new housing starts falling and more families being left in the private rented sector with rising rents and too little security.
Worse with family bills
- With energy bills having risen by £300, while the profits of the energy companies have soared.
With two years to go the Government has no answers and nothing to say:
- Nothing on tackling the crisis in youth unemployment.
- Nothing to back small businesses struggling to get credit.
- Nothing on living standards while families see energy bills and train fares rise out of reach.
- Nothing on housing where new home completions are now at their lowest level since the 1920s.
- Nothing to stop the undercutting of wages by tackling the exploitation of immigrant labour.
- Nothing on growth, despite the economy growing by just 1% since the spending review.
One Nation Labour’s plans include:
- A Jobs Bill to put in place a Compulsory Jobs Guarantee.
- A Finance Bill that would kick-start our economy and help make work pay with a 10p rate of tax.
- A Consumers Bill to tackle rip-off energy bills and train fares.
- A Banking Bill that backs British business with a real British Investment Bank and new regional banks.
- A Housing Bill that would take action against rogue landlords and extortionate fees in the private rented sector.
An Immigration Bill with economic measures that put an end to workers having their wages undercut illegally by employers exploiting migrant labour.